Re: Marble Hornets Fan Thread

Postby LadyPakenham » Fri May 30, 2014 10:06 pm

ScaredSmiley wrote:
Spoiler: show

I'm sorry

Not funny man. Not funny.

Gives new meaning to the term sideBURNS
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Postby ScaredSmiley » Sat May 31, 2014 2:25 pm

LadyPakenham wrote:
Gives new meaning to the term sideBURNS

Nice one! I'm going to write that one down.
Rest in peace best forum ever.

my soundcloud if someone still cares x'D
ScaredSmiley

Postby LadyPakenham » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Entry #86 should be coming out any day (or moment) now. According to Troy it's another doozy.

That's all I have to say.
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Postby ScaredSmiley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:51 am

WHATHOWWHYSOAWESOMEBUTSTILLWAYISTHISTHEENDIDONTKNOW

NO TIM WHY U DO DIS RIP IN PEACE SIDEBURNS :'(

ALEXWASN'TSUCHABADGUYAFTERALLHEWASJUSTTRYINGTOPROTECTJUSTWHYWHYWHY?

ScaredSmiley

Postby Anateus » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:33 am

I don't have an apt reaction to that so I'll just say what I usually say;

FUCK.

Thy next foe is...
In the seaside cave...
It moves slowly...
Raise thy courage to defeat it.
Anateus

Postby Sleric9 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 am

Soooooooo turns out Entry #86 wasn't the last entry.

But I have a feeling this is.

Honestly I felt Entry #86 was a good way to end it but ok
But first, let me take an arrow to the knee
Sleric9

Postby ScaredSmiley » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Sleric9 wrote:Soooooooo turns out Entry #86 wasn't the last entry.

But I have a feeling this is.

If this would be the case, I would be so pissed. It can't end like this, not so anticlimactic. It would top my list of shit endings of great series, right next to Mockingjay. But I think it isn't, fortunately. I hope so at least.

ScaredSmiley

Postby LadyPakenham » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Remember that not every series has to have a climactic ending. In fact, most standard fictional plotlines don't (the climax is supposed to come BEFORE the resolution, and then the resolution formally ends the story). This isn't a slasher film; MH has always been more of a drama than a horror series in my book.

While I agree that #86 would be a good way to leave it off as well (and originally I thought that was the end), I actually think #87 leaves on an even better note for the following (spoiler-tagged) reasons:

1) It's not a stereotypical horror film ending. If it had ended with a huge plot twist or violent scene, that would have really gambled the value of the series as a whole. Far too many movies choose to do that. It's just very un-original nowadays.

2) BREAKING BAD SPOILERS (kind of): I see a huge Breaking Bad influence in this entire show, and I know for a fact that the boys like BB (and it has one of the most phenomenal plots that I've ever seen in popular television). MH ended much the way BB did, with a climactic violent scene that took care of many plot issues and then ended on a very straightforward, much quieter note.

3) While it would have been a neat twist to wonder who had uploaded the final entry, as it turns out MH didn't have to depend on that twist to end the series appropriately. There was the small twist in Jessica still being alive, and it raised some very uneasy questions about Tim's character (did he know she was alive the whole time? Why would he not tell Jay? Why did he keep the mask with him that whole time? Does he remember far more about his masked state than he lets on?) Basically, the purpose of #87 was not only to tie up the series in a realistic way, but to cause us to question the morality of Tim's character. That's a fantastic turn of events.

4) The last shot was just cool. Tim at the crossroads, the sirens going off in the background (if you turn your speakers up enough)...some OOG coincidences there I'm sure, but nevertheless powerful in a metaphorical sense.

5) It left some questions hinted at but not fully explained (the Ark, TO), which is perfect. MH is not the kind of story to spoonfeed you everything, and I like that. Some things are better left to personal interpretation, and like I said, they still HINTED at a lot of stuff such as what the Ark is and what TO or Hoody's intentions were. (And, on that note, at least they told us who Hoody was. I would have been upset if they had let that one slide, so I'm quite happy.)

6) "Everything is fine." Dishonesty, denial, and a nod to one of the most famous quotes of Tim's dead friend. That's just awesome.

TL;DR: MH is not your standard horror series. It's not supposed to end the way Halloween did (and I'm not criticizing Halloween, I'm just saying the two are different and should end in different ways). From a writer's POV, the show ended in a fantastic way. It was straightforward, appropriate, and didn't gamble everything on a big Hollywood plot twist but still ended with some surprises and unease. It obviously won't please everyone as some people like the more Halloween-ish endings, and I'm not gonna judge them for that. But I think artistically it was about as close to perfect as the story could get.
LadyPakenham

Postby ScaredSmiley » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 am

I get what you are saying, but I still have to disagree. I know MH isn't your typical Hollywood horror (thank god for that) but it still needs some kind of payoff. For example (spoilers for The Last of Us ahead):

In the ending of TLOU, Joel decides not to kill Ellie for a cure that could save humanity. The last scene in-game just shows them going back to their 'home'. The whole game ends with just a simple dialogue. While most of the time endings like this are crap, TLOU managed to pull it off. MH could have something like that too.

I typed that before I heard the sirens. Now that I hear them, I love the ending (if this is the ending) and I think it's a really good way to end this series. Funny how one little sound can change everything d:

ScaredSmiley

PreviousNext

Return to Slenderman Mythos