Your perception of Slenderman (another long post by me)

Talk about aspects of the Slenderman mythos here

Your perception of Slenderman (another long post by me)

Postby LadyPakenham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 pm

We on this here forum have been talking way too much about the new game lately, so I'm making yet another long-ass post about Slendy himself. :)

I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this: as a relatively new Slenderfan I've been doing a lot of research on the Mythos and fans' opinions of him. However, what has surprised me most is fans' opinions of other fans.

Now, I hate fan wars. I think it's pretty pointless to argue over who is a "real" fan or who is more of a fan, especially with Slenderman (since he's such an open-source subject). But I see a lot of that online--on various blogs, forums, social media sites, etc. There's a lot of arguing over how a "real" fan should be introduced to the series, how they should perceive him, whether or not calling him "Slender" or liking the $20 joke is okay...oh, and there's a lot of gamer and fangirl hate too.

I just want to make this clear: I'm open to multiple interpretations of Slenderman. I think that's one of the most awesome things about him. Yes, the base of the story he that he's one scary SOB. And I think we all believe he's a scary SOB. But does that mean we can't have other interpretations of him too? Does that mean you have to take a "it's my way or the highway" approach?

Obviously, no. Look...I don't know what Slenderman truly is. I've never met the guy. And I get bored pretty easily, so I tend to perceive him differently at different times based on my mood. Sometimes, I think of him as the most awesome and kickass bad guy you'll ever run into, and someone who would truly make you crap your pants. But other times, I take a more lighthearted, comical approach.

Long story short, I can be a hardcore Slenderfan or I can be a shameless fangirl, depending on my mood. I do think that you can portray Slendy as "cute" (come on, this is cute: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 3b8zs7.jpg). I would give him a hug if I met him in real life, and I would totally be his BFF if he asked. I have written stories in which he's portrayed as a benign, comedic character, just because the idea of Slenderman being benign but still inherently destructive and clumsy is so absurd that it's funny. It's not the only way I see him--my mood can change and I can turn right around and write another piece in which he is the Earthly personification of our worst fears and anxieties. But I'm flexible.

So this is what I want to know...what do you guys think about this? How do you see Slenderman? Do you have one solid interpretation or multiple changing ones? And are you okay with others seeing him differently than you?
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Re: Your perception of Slenderman (another long post by me)

Postby SlenderSeeker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am

LadyPakenham wrote:Now, I hate fan wars. I think it's pretty pointless to argue over who is a "real" fan or who is more of a fan, especially with Slenderman (since he's such an open-source subject). But I see a lot of that online--on various blogs, forums, social media sites, etc. There's a lot of arguing over how a "real" fan should be introduced to the series, how they should perceive him, whether or not calling him "Slender" or liking the $20 joke is okay... oh, and there's a lot of gamer and fangirl hate too.

Honestly, I'm with you too. I hate fan wars too. But as a newcomer who has slowly become someone who's a bit more of a "serious" hardcore Slenderfan, I feel I should add my two cents here.

First off, let me give the "hardcore" Slenderfan perspective here so you "softcore" fans understand - many of the people who are Slenderfans have been around since long before these games, and are the builders of what the Mythos is. They have written blogs, shot vlogs, written Creepypastas and built this fandom up with their own two hands and what they have on hand at the time. Those of us who are "hardcore" Slenderfans are also the same people who made the Mythos what it is today - a terrifying place to be. So when "hardcore" fans see people claiming that Slenderman came from the game, or see people fangirling over him like he's some chibi bishie kawaii huggable puppydog, it's insulting to them, because they percieve it as a mockery of what they built up and worked hard to portray this character as. Despite the fact that Slenderman is open-source, there's a LOT of Slenderfans out there who want him to stay as horrific as possible. We goof around too, but there's a limit to what we're comfortable with. And we tend to associate anyone and all people who engage in fangirlish behavior even once with the annoying folks who won't look at anything else besides their one bloody tree in the whole Mythos forest.

Personally, I consider myself a "harder" Slenderfan. I watch and strike vlogs off my list like a sniper picks off his targets. I consume this fandom's material with an appetite to rival that of a black hole. And I love several interpretations of the Slenderman, from the violent monster to the slow and methodical tormentor to even the neutral or benign creature that just cannot be fathomed by mankind. Now let me explain my issue with the fangirls and such:

The reason I personally don't like fangirls is because more often than not, they have OC Mary-Sues and I cannot stand Mary-Sues. They also never want to listen to reason and never seem to want to learn anything about the Mythos that stretches out of their comfort zone. I have no problem with people who occasionally fangirl or geek out over Slendy, that's different. So it's not the fact that they're fangirling over Slendy, it's the fact that they fangirl and don't wanna hear that they might be living in a headcanon that most people would call unreasonable in-universe.

I have a problem with people calling him "Slender" because more often than not, it's because they think he came from the game. It makes that person look ignorant to me, and I don't like ignorant people. "Slendy" is fine to me because it existed before that game; I don't see why people have a problem with it. But not "Slender". To me, that's the name of a game, not the central Mythos entity that stars in said game. It just bothers me.

As for the $20 joke, I personally still like it but I'm starting to get tired of it. And so are many of the older Slenderfans, if they aren't sick of it already. That meme was pretty much played out in the fandom before the game came out, and nobody likes a dead meme. Okay, it's not dead to you and I understand that. But please, if you meet an older Slenderfan, refrain from making that joke. It's old and tiresome. We "hardcore" fans have had enough of it. I would never make that joke in a more hardcore fan setting because I'm sensitive to this issue; we wish you softer fans would do the same. I make it around here because I understand that it's still relevant to you guys even though I personally think it needs to be laid to rest for a good, long while.

I just want to make this clear: I'm open to multiple interpretations of Slenderman. I think that's one of the most awesome things about him. Yes, the base of the story he that he's one scary SOB. And I think we all believe he's a scary SOB. But does that mean we can't have other interpretations of him too?

This. And just to clarify: we hardcore fans do not think it's "our way or the highway", and we are open to different interpretations. We just prefer that he at least remain creepy if not outright scary, because this is a horror Mythos and we prefer keeping Slendy more horrifying. I personally like a more neutral Slendy, but he still has to remain creepy in some way for me to keep my interest, because... well, he IS a creepy bastard. And yes, we understand the need to cut down on anxiety about the character, because he's terrifying. We accept that. We all draw silly things and write goofy stories and muse on silly ideas. We won't judge you for that UNLESS you insist that's the ONLY true interpretation and we're all wrong, "my way or the highway". :)

I tend to perceive him differently at different times based on my mood. Sometimes, I think of him as the most awesome and kickass bad guy you'll ever run into, and someone who would truly make you crap your pants. But other times, I take a more lighthearted, comical approach. Long story short, I can be a hardcore Slenderfan or I can be a shameless fangirl, depending on my mood.

Also this. Although I really think he's a LOT more interesting when he's the kickass creature of dread than the lighthearted comical creature. I personally prefer keeping him aloof, distant, very much inhuman despite what interpretation I take on him. He can be good, he can be evil, he can be neutral, he can be anything really so long as he remains distinctly inhuman in motive, choice, and action. Does he feel? Maybe. Is he intelligent? Probably. But the key thing to me is that he's unknown and unknowable, and that makes him frighteningly badass. He's something beyond human comprehension, something that is infinitely powerful and could be dangerous... and he has his own ways of working we human beings will never understand, since we simply can't and it might even be dangerous to our mental health. Does he kill? Sure. Does he protect? Maybe. That's what I find fascinating about him - he's the unknown, and the unknown can be defined in many, many ways. He is the missing variable in the world, an anomaly that shouldn't be but is, something that I think likely behaves more like a traditional faerie or Fair Folk than a monster. And that makes us scared and oftentimes see him as evil, because well... we just don't know. And we're afraid of what we don't know.

I do think that you can portray Slendy as "cute". I would give him a hug if I met him in real life, and I would totally be his BFF if he asked.

Honestly, with my personal headcanon I couldn't do any of that; it'd just feel wrong to me. But that's just my interpretation. I don't see him as ever being "cute" like a puppy dog, maybe more like "quirky" if you have to give him a human characteristic like that. Hugs? ... Well, okay, but only if you can guarantee I wouldn't end up dead or otherwise hurt, and only if he offered first. Even then I don't know if I'd like it with my interpretation, I think it might feel really weird (the uncomfortable, bad kind of weird) to be embraced by arms that long, and tendrils that numerous... I sure as Hell wouldn't just walk right up to him and hug him, he scares me too much. Be his BFF? I don't really see Slendy as needing companionship, although it would be pretty badass to have something that powerful on your side. However I don't know if I'd want to be besties with him, just because what if he gets upset that someone hurt me and decides to take action and get rid of that person, or eat them, or disappear them to Slenderland or whatever? I wouldn't want to feel responsible for that, and I know I would. The doll was adorable though and I want like twenty.

I have written stories in which he's portrayed as a benign, comedic character, just because the idea of Slenderman being benign but still inherently destructive and clumsy is so absurd that it's funny.

Okay that is really funny, I'll give you that one. XD

I can turn right around and write another piece in which he is the Earthly personification of our worst fears and anxieties. But I'm flexible.

Now I see him as actually BEING fear or anxiety, a literal personification of the fear of the Unknown. But see, the thing about the unknown is that it's... well, unknown. We fear it because we can't understand or comprehend it. It could hold something pleasant, or something awful. And that's where my Slendy fits in - he's fear, he's scary and terrible and unknowable... but that's just what we see, and he could be evil, sure... but he could also be neutral. And to me, it's the neutral being that's merely curious to see how humans react to it, or who chooses people it wants to test or otherwise do something with for non-evil purposes, and ends up hurting people anyway, that is scary to me. We all fear the devils of the world... but do we not have greater fear for those who are truly on nobody's side, who do what they do because they want to do it or because of some hidden motive, who are more like the common man except for the fact that they're doing things to us and won't or can't tell us why?

Some definitive answers from me now:

How do you see Slenderman?

My personal headcanon is that he's the result of the universe and all laws of the natural order of things making a mistake; dividing by zero if you will. And when the universe makes a mistake, nonsensical and nightmarish anomalies happen. The Slenderman is one of these anomalies, a being that came to be but should not have, a being that simultaneously follows the universe's laws and violates them all in one fell swoop. He can feed on anything from energy to flesh to fear itself, although if he chooses lifeforms to feed on it's usually animals. He is an intelligent, thinking being that might even muse to himself; he's distinctly an introverted loner. He prefers solitude to noise, hence the reason he lives in forests and abandoned places, away from human contact. He finds children annoying since they are noisy, although he will approach quieter ones. He does not appreciate humans treading into these places much, but is very curious of humankind as a whole and will often target that person. His motives for each person vary from simply feeling they need to die to outright wanting to see how they react to him. He does have emotions, but they are more primal than those of humans. He is incredibly inhuman and truly incomprehensible to us, as he is to all things in this world. He has all the typical abilities you'd expect from him. His tendrils/tentacles are definitively solid and strong enough to tear doors off their hinges, rip people's limbs off, punch through things, etc. He can use them for camouflage, stability, and fine motor tasks, as well as to sense things in the environment around him, since he doesn't have true sight (he instead picks up heat signature images and uses motion to figure out where prey is). He can pick locks with the tendrils (two of which are disguised as arms with hands). He is slow if seen moving, but this is a facade - he can be inhumanly quick. He can crawl on multiple limbs like a spider if the need arises to get into small areas like vents. He only very, VERY rarely tires of chasing someone, and if that is the case he can erase all memories of himself and everything to do with him from a person, although that person will always have a bit of unease if not outright fear about certain things, such as forests, the dark, and anything that reminds them a bit of him... a bit of a safeguard so they never end up on his radar accidentally again.

Do you have one solid interpretation or multiple changing ones?

My headcanon changes depending on the story and scenario.

And are you okay with others seeing him differently than you?

I don't care what you think about him so long as you don't insist yours is the only interpretation.
"Fear the man, the Slender Man / For he can do what no man can."
SlenderSeeker

Postby LadyPakenham » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 am

There's some food for thought. I get the desire of hardcore fans to preserve Slenderman as they know him, though I must warn against becoming overly-sensitive--I'm the same way with vampires, and we all know what's happened to the reputation of vampires over the last few years. Ultimately I've chosen to ignore it, and I did end up reading/watching Twilight out of curiosity (I will say, the soundtrack was good).

SlenderSeeker wrote:The reason I personally don't like fangirls is because more often than not, they have OC Mary-Sues and I cannot stand Mary-Sues. They also never want to listen to reason and never seem to want to learn anything about the Mythos that stretches out of their comfort zone.

Understood there.

SlenderSeeker wrote:I have a problem with people calling him "Slender" because more often than not, it's because they think he came from the game.

I know what you're saying; and I admit that sometimes it bugs me too. Though I have thought to myself on occasion, "What if his name is 'Slender Man' instead of 'Slenderman'? [Like a firstname/lastname thing.] What if his real name is Slender P. Man?" But I guess that's just another one of my strange musings. (P would stand for "Philip", by the way)

SlenderSeeker wrote:We won't judge you for that UNLESS you insist that's the ONLY true interpretation and we're all wrong, "my way or the highway".

Well, then I'd be a hypocrite, wouldn't I? ;) That's exactly the thing I don't like, in anyone, on any issue. No one person has all the answers, right?

SlenderSeeker wrote:I don't know if I'd want to be besties with him, just because what if he gets upset that someone hurt me and decides to take action and get rid of that person, or eat them, or disappear them to Slenderland or whatever? I wouldn't want to feel responsible for that, and I know I would. The doll was adorable though and I want like twenty.

That's exactly why I would have Slenderman as a friend. I already have a couple people on my list. :lol: We'd track down criminals and terrorists too. It'd be awesome. And I know; I would totally stuff my room with those dolls.

SlenderSeeker wrote:My personal headcanon is that he's the result of the universe and all laws of the natural order of things making a mistake; dividing by zero if you will.

YES. That's the perfect way to describe him. Simultaneously human and inhuman, foreign and native, and somehow unable to be characterized as either good or evil. You'd think a man in black-and-white would fit well into society (as we humans perceive everything as being black-and-white--a major flaw of ours, I might add). But he truly isn't very black-and-white at all--he's a blurry grey of contradiction.

Thanks for sharing. I obviously didn't respond to everything you wrote, but I read and considered it all, and I'll probably reread it again tomorrow. Perhaps the most interesting thing about Slenderman is what he brings out in us--he's like a blank canvas for our unfiltered imagination and personality to paint over in our interpretations and reactions to him. Very fascinating, especially if you like psychology. No wonder I'm so into the legend. :D

P.S. "Slenderland" actually kind of sounds like fun. XD
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Postby SlenderSeeker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:17 pm

How fun "Slenderland" is depends on exactly how much you fear him, how dangerous you think he is, and what exactly you think he might do to his targets once he gets them...
SlenderSeeker

Postby ScaredSmiley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 pm

I think Slender Man is a sadist pedophile serial killer. But still is a nice person to hang out with :D
Rest in peace best forum ever.

my soundcloud if someone still cares x'D
ScaredSmiley

Postby LadyPakenham » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm

ScaredSmiley wrote:I think Slender Man is a sadist pedophile serial killer. But still is a nice person to hang out with :D

I'm not sure I'd like to hang out with a sadist pedophile serial killer, but that's just me. :lol:
LadyPakenham

Postby SlenderSeeker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:31 am

LadyPakenham wrote:
ScaredSmiley wrote:I think Slender Man is a sadist pedophile serial killer. But still is a nice person to hang out with :D

I'm not sure I'd like to hang out with a sadist pedophile serial killer, but that's just me. :lol:

*tilts head*

So... you think Slenderman... is a complete monster but also a decent guy? wat is this i dont even *brain asplods*

:lol:
SlenderSeeker

Postby ScaredSmiley » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 pm

SlenderSeeker wrote:
LadyPakenham wrote:

*tilts head*

So... you think Slenderman... is a complete monster but also a decent guy? wat is this i dont even *brain asplods*

That is so special about Slender Man, just like your signature says, he can do what NO MAN can xD
Rest in peace best forum ever.

my soundcloud if someone still cares x'D
ScaredSmiley

Postby LadyPakenham » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 am

ScaredSmiley wrote:
SlenderSeeker wrote:*tilts head*

That is so special about Slender Man, just like your signature says, he can do what NO MAN can xD

Gotta admit, you're right about that. XD
LadyPakenham

Return to Slenderman Mythos