Removal of TV & Movies section. Reloaded.

Anything that does not fall under any other category.

Should TV & Movies be removed?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 4

Removal of TV & Movies section. Reloaded.

Postby ScaredSmiley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:02 pm

I'm going to revive an old idea here from Ana by suggesting T&M to be removed.

Reasons:
It's (almost) the only section with spammers
Almost nothing gets posted there. People could post in the Anything section, it won't be a chaos anyway because there are not many members here

I was against before but now I'm going to bump the idea anyway. So vote please.
Rest in peace best forum ever.

my soundcloud if someone still cares x'D
ScaredSmiley

Re: Removal of TV & Movies section. Reloaded.

Postby Sleric9 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:42 am

I was against it too, but after seeing the inactivity of that particular section (besides the fact that it's a spam breeding ground), it's became clear that this section of the site has been rendered completely redundant.

Of course, I'm not sure if LP is a high enough rank to remove it herself, idk if Marc's the only one with that power. (Although let's face it, Marc's been silent for months, and it's probably gonna stay that way. (Also the question of if her and her Norse God assistant will allow it))
But first, let me take an arrow to the knee
Sleric9

Postby Kronyklos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 am

Yeah, I was against it when we actually used it. But, now we don't use it at all and every topic is spam. So, yes, we should remove it.
If someone's actually reading this, then you're on the extinct forum known as Slenderman's Shadow! Enjoy your 10-minute long stay! Or don't, if you're a bot.
Kronyklos

Postby LadyPakenham » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:54 am

Sleric9 wrote:I was against it too, but after seeing the inactivity of that particular section (besides the fact that it's a spam breeding ground), it's became clear that this section of the site has been rendered completely redundant.

Of course, I'm not sure if LP is a high enough rank to remove it herself, idk if Marc's the only one with that power. (Although let's face it, Marc's been silent for months, and it's probably gonna stay that way. (Also the question of if her and her Norse God assistant will allow it))

No. NO. DOWN. BAD ASSISTANT.

(Sorry 'bout that. He's just worried because, you know, being a Marvel villain TV & Movies kind of applies to him.)

I'll admit, it's a bit of an inconvenience cleaning up spam but I can do it. I'm a bit less against it than I was last time, but ultimately I'm not sure if it'll take care of the problem. They'll just start posting somewhere else, I'm thinking. As for Marc, I actually don't think he'd care. But you wouldn't want poor Loki-doki-artichoki to be out of a job, would you? :D
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Postby Kronyklos » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 am

LadyPakenham wrote:
Sleric9 wrote:I was against it too, but after seeing the inactivity of that particular section (besides the fact that it's a spam breeding ground), it's became clear that this section of the site has been rendered completely redundant.

(Sorry 'bout that. He's just worried because, you know, being a Marvel villain TV & Movies kind of applies to him.)

I'll admit, it's a bit of an inconvenience cleaning up spam but I can do it. I'm a bit less against it than I was last time, but ultimately I'm not sure if it'll take care of the problem. They'll just start posting somewhere else, I'm thinking. As for Marc, I actually don't think he'd care. But you wouldn't want poor Loki-doki-artichoki to be out of a job, would you? :D

LP, you just did the only post for the last 3 days.
If someone's actually reading this, then you're on the extinct forum known as Slenderman's Shadow! Enjoy your 10-minute long stay! Or don't, if you're a bot.
Kronyklos

Postby ScaredSmiley » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 am

LadyPakenham wrote:

I think the spammers are mostly there because it is called TV & movies. I don't know how spambots work but I think their keywords mainly consist of T&M. Can somebody find out more about bots :?
Rest in peace best forum ever.

my soundcloud if someone still cares x'D
ScaredSmiley

Postby LadyPakenham » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:35 pm

You're right; they are heavily automated and use keywords to find what they think are the areas of the forum with the most hits (though that part of the forum isn't used as much anyway). But from what I could tell in the spam messages none of them had anything to do with TV & Movies. And if we pulled the rug out from under them, I'm sure they would just focus on another forum. The issue here is that whatever system Marc has in place to prevent spammers from registering isn't working, but I don't know how to fix that.

Honestly, if it isn't a direct threat or huge nuisance to anyone other than me (I can handle the nuisance :)), then I would advise not messing with the forums.
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Postby LadyPakenham » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Update: I was looking through the Mod CP and as far as I can tell there's no way for me to delete any branch of the forums, even if I chose to do so. Now, it could be that I just haven't figured it out yet, but there you go.
LadyPakenham

Postby Sleric9 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:50 am

Y'know, I never actually looked at it from LP's perspective before. I mean, it is the spam garbage bin basically, since no one else is using it. Not to mention that if the programmers of said bots are smart in any way, they'll just program them to start posting threads in other parts of the forum, which I noticed have been basically spam free for the last couple of months.

I still think it's useless to HAVE that section now, but at the same time it keeps spam threads away from where we're most active. So if we can't remove it, it wouldn't be TOO big of a deal.
But first, let me take an arrow to the knee
Sleric9

Postby Anateus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 am

Since the now defunct T&M acts as a filter for spam and keeps it out of the more active areas of the forum, It's probably better to keep it as it is as a makeshift "spam filter." And since LP has mentioned that she probably has no way to lobotomize sections of the forum anyway. (hehe, lobotomize)

Coupled with the fact that there is no real need to remove this section of the forum, and that LP said that she's fine with dealing with the spam that comes up. I say we let it stay, just for it's "functionality."

Thy next foe is...
In the seaside cave...
It moves slowly...
Raise thy courage to defeat it.
Anateus

Next

Return to Anything